Hannah Zoey Morley
University of California, Santa Barbara: Graduating: 2021, GPA 3.91
College of Creative Studies Honors, Bachelor of Arts in Writing and Literature, minor in Journalism
Relevant Coursework: Grammar & Stylistics, Literary Publishing, and Writing for Magazines
Writing & Development
Editorial Intern for UC-Santa Barbara’s Humanities and Fine Arts (HFA) Division, October 2020-Present.
- Led by Professor Nomi Morris I worked amongst a consistent undergraduate editorial team.
- Attended HFA events and wrote/did the layout for articles that HFA published on their website.
Literary Agent Dana Newman’s Intern/Assistant, June 23rd, 2020- September 15th, 2020
- Read and responded to book queries, proposals, and Author questions.
- Discussed with Ms. Newman the quality of the work presented and various ways it can be improved before publication.
- Updated her website and relevant spreadsheets with royalty payment due dates and with the status of Publishing Houses/agents she is in touch with.
Director of Acting, Co-Writer and Production Manager, June 2018-Present. Homebrewed: A Musical Quest
- Co-developed and co-wrote of Homebrewed’s script and concept.
- Co-wrote grant and fellowship proposals and had Homebrewed accepted into UCSB’s Raab Writing Fellowship and the Undergraduate Creative Activities. These grants increased our budget by $2,500.
- I also scheduled and helped run auditions, production meetings, filming days, interviews, and rehearsals for the cast and crew.
Co-Writer, September 2017- April 2018. Shake On It.
- Co-created and co-wrote the Shake On It script.
- This opportunity started as a class project, allowing me to work with a wide variety of disciplines, mainly composers, to conceptualize our collective vision.
- Production is available to stream on UCTV, YouTube, and was broadcasted on Cox.
Reader, September 2017-Present. Prose and Cons
- A UCSB student led writing organization that serves to advise authors on the continued development of their pieces.
- We read multiple works each week and give developmental notes to each author.
Copy Editor and Reader, January 2019-Present. Spectrum Literary Journal
- Read hundreds of submissions, ranging from fiction, non-fiction, and poetry, and read for quality and the voice of each piece.
- Collaborated with the Editorial Staff and argued for, and later voted on, which pieces should be moved forward and be copy edited for publication.
Reader, August 2019-August 2019. Robert (Bobby) DeLeon a film and t.v. executive from Infinitum Nihil
- Read considered scripts and wrote coverage
- Spent the most time with a script translated from and written by an Indian author. In writing their coverage, I noted how American audiences might respond to such work.
- The Daily Nexus, March 16th 2020, C.A.P.S Is Doing Its Best, But Our Campus Needs More.
- The Daily Nexus, May 17th 2020, Should I Stay or Should I Go
- Spectrum Literary Journal Website, August 20th, 2020, The Timer Tip
- UCSB Humanities and Fine Arts, October 14th 2020, Theater That Pushes Zoom’s Boundaries
- UCSB Humanities and Fine Arts, November 2nd, Of Memes, Linguistics, and Creative Computing
- UCSB Humanities and Fine Arts, November 11th, 2020, UCSB Student Artists take Initiative
- UCSB Humanities and Fine Arts, November 24th, 2020, Tackling Racism in Technology
- UCSB Humanities and Fine Arts, December 9th, 2020, Nicaragua: How Social Justice and Grief Go Hand in Hand
- UCSB Humanities and Fine Arts, January 14th, 2021, “Migrant Longing” : Family letters humanize Latinx migrants
- UCSB Humanities and Fine Arts, January 28th, 2021, The Truth Behind Land-Grant Universities
- UCSB Humanities and Fine Arts, March 16th, 2021, Artist Alex Lukas: Finding Meaning in a Pandemic
- Laurel Moon, “I get sleepy” (poem)
- Venture More, TBD, “Rollerskating 101”
Presentations, Honors, and Awards
- Co-Recipient of the UCSB Raab Writing Fellowship Grant, 2018-19 (Homebrewed)
- Co-Recipient of the UCSB Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Grant, 2018-19 (Homebrewed)
- Team Lead and co-finalist for the UC Berkeley Rudd Family Foundation Big Ideas Grant, 2019 (Homebrewed)
- Presentation of Homebrewed: A Musical Quest at the 2018 and the 2019 UCSB College of Creative Studies Research and Creative Activities Conferences (RACA-CON)
- Proficiency at Affinity Publisher, iMovie, Instagram, Microsoft Office, Squarespace, Twitter, WordPress, and Wix